Bihar State Pollution Control Board was constituted in the year 1974 under the provisions of the Water (prevention and Control of pollution) Act, 1974. Enactment of the said Act and subsequent constitution of this Board was in pursuance of Clause -I of Article 252 of the Constitution of India. The Water Act, 1974 was made applicable in the first instance to the whole of 12 States and Union Territories. The State of Bihar was one of the said 12 States.
Function of Bihar State Pollution Control Board
Since inception, Bihar State Pollution Control Board like other State Boards has been performing its functions as enumerated under section 17 of the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974. Functions, so entrusted to the Board are:
- Planning program for prevention and control of pollution in the state;
- Advising the State Government from time to time in the matters of pollution;
- Collection and dissemination of information with regard to pollution control;
- Conduction and participation in Research & Development (R&D) relating to water pollution;
- Collaboration with Central Board in organizing training and mass awareness program of grant of consent;
- Inspection of Treatment plant and their review for the purpose;
- Laying down standards of sewage and trade effluents;
- Evolving economical and reliable methods of effluent treatment;
- Evolving methods of utilization of sewage and trade effluent for agriculture;
- Evolving methods of disposal of sewage and trade effluents on land;
- Laying down standards of treatment of sewage and trade effluent;
- Making any suitable order concerning prevention and control of discharges of effluent into streams or concerning construction of systems for their disposal;
- Laying down effluent standards to be observed by any person causing discharge of sewage or sludge;
- Advising the State Government with respect to the location of any industry;
- Performing such other functions, as may be prescribed by the Central Board of the State Government; and
- Establishment or recognition of laboratories for the analysis of discharges of effluent.
Objectives of BSPCB
Sustainable Development: - Sustainable development is a wide concept that balances the need for economic growth with environmental protection and social equity.
Prevention: - To control the prevention of natural resources.
Waste Management: - Effective Waste Management is a great source to protect the environment.
Consumer awareness: - Pollution can be reduced by awareness such as by convincing general public to use CFL, paper bags, public transport and not to use firecrackers, plastic bags or any other non-biodegradable products.
Compliance: - BSPCB laid down some guidelines for industries and Health care establishment to reduce environment pollution in Bihar.
Main Functions of the BSPCB
- Provide recommendation to the Bihar Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air.
- Organize the consumer awareness programs on the prevention and control of air and water pollution and waste management through mass media.
- Collect, compile and prepare technical and statistical data related to air and water pollution.
- Lay down the standard of sewage and trade effluents and for emission from industrial plant, automobiles and Health Care Establishment.
- To help on the development of new technology for treatment of sewage, trade effluents and control equipment.
- Issuance of consent certificate to industries falling in different categories such as Red, Orange, Green and White.
- Issuance of the Authorization to industries and health care establishments, falling in Bio-Medical waste Authorization, Hazardous waste Management Authorization, Plastic Waste Management, Battery waste Management, and E-waste Authorization.
BSPCB Categories & Classification of Business Activities
The industries in Goa has been classified in Red, Orange, and Green category as per the list, indicating the classification of 649 industries as per new guidelines.
The industries categorized under Red, Orange and Green category only need to apply for Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO) under the Air & Water Act. The industries categorized under white category are not required to obtain Consent to establish and operate, it is required only to intimate Bihar State Pollution Control Board within 30 days from Establishment of business with an undertaking.