SEBI stands for Securities and Exchange Board of India which is market regulator in India i.e. Financial Market. In fact in India Financial Market includes even the product and entity related to Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI). Precisely securities market are primarily govern, regulate and manage by SEBI. Among other Portfolio Manager is also registered person or entity to act in Market regulated by SEBI.
- Body corporate definition under this regulation is derived from Section 2 (11) of Companies Act, 2013 which includes company incorporated outside India but does not include co-operative society.
- Discretionary portfolio manager means portfolio manager who under contract relating to portfolio management, exercise or may exercise, any degree of discretion as to investment of funds or management of the portfolio of securities of client.
Eligible fund manager is read in consolation of eligible investment fund as defined under section 9A (4) of the Income Tax Act, 1961. It read as below:-
- Person is not an employee of the eligible investment fund or a connected person of the fund
- Person is registered as fund manager or an investment adviser with Board
- Person is acting in ordinary course of his business as a fund manager
- Person along with his connected person shall not be entitled, directly or indirectly, to more than 20% of the profits accruing or arising to the eligible investment fund from the transactions carried out by the fund through the fund manager
Eligible investment fund is define as per definition provided under section 9A (3) of the Income Tax Act, 1961. It can be further elaborated as below:-
- Fund is not person resident in India and resident of country with which India has Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement
- Aggregate participation or investment in fund, directly or indirectly, by person resident in India does not exceed 5% of the corpus of the fund
- Funds has minimum of 25 members who are directly or indirectly, not connected persons
- any member of the fund along with connected persons shall not have any participation interest, directly or indirectly, in the fund exceeding ten per cent;
- the aggregate participation interest, directly or indirectly, of ten or less members along with their connected persons in the fund, shall be less than fifty per cent;
- the fund shall not invest more than twenty per cent of its corpus in any entity
- the fund shall not make any investment in its associate entity
- the monthly average of the corpus of the fund shall not be less than one hundred crore rupees
- the fund shall not carry on or control and manage, directly or indirectly, any business in India;
- the fund is neither engaged in any activity which constitutes a business connection in India nor has any person acting on its behalf whose activities constitute a business connection in India other than the activities undertaken by the eligible fund manager on its behalf.
- Portfolio means the total holdings of securities and good belonging to any person
- Portfolio manager means body corporate which pursuant to contract with a client advises or directs or undertakes on behalf of client the management or administration of a portfolio of securities or goods or funds of the client.
- Principal Officer means an employee of portfolio manager who has been designated as such by the portfolio manager and responsible for decision made by portfolio manager for management and administration of portfolio of securities or funds of the client and all other operations of the portfolio manager.
Qualification of Principal Officer
Professional qualification in finance, law, accountancy or business management from University or CFA Charter from the CFA institute
Experience of at least 5 years in the field of securities market including portfolio manager, stock broker, investment advisor, research analysts or as a fund manager
Relevant NISM certification
Provided that at least 2 years of relevant experience is in portfolio management or investment advisor services or in the areas related to fund management
What is Portfolio Manager?
Body corporate registered and license by Securities and Exchange Board of India under the regulation, to do management and administration of various investment portfolio of their client on the given/agreed terms and conditions with compensation thereon.
Who is Portfolio Manager?
Body corporate like company either private or public, Limited Liability Partnership or corporate incorporated outside India are eligible portfolio manager or can be portfolio manager subject to compliance of underlying regulation in terms of type of entity, principal officer, compliance officer, employee, office space and equipment and capital adequacy thereon.
Why Portfolio Manager?
It is very clear and loud that one can’t be perfect or known for everything available in scenario. Mean to say, every individual is not well enough to make best financial plan and do cater the knowledge of alike portfolio manager. In fact most of people are unaware of it and still lack the time to understand the segment and take the best decision for their future financial planning and investment strategy therefore the special designated designation with its own scope of business activities the license portfolio manager come to picture.
Equipped with latest information about the various investment opportunity, reducing risk and maximizing the profit and wealth as per the investment plan of any individual are known as Portfolio Manager. Registered licensed person on certain compensation dare to manage the portfolio of various assets of any person to maximize his/her wealth.