The Telangana State Pollution Control Board (TSPCB) is a statutory authority entrusted to implement environmental laws and rules within the jurisdiction of the State of Telangana, India. The Board ensures proper implementation of the statutes, judicial and legislative pronouncements related to environmental protection within the State. As per A.P. Re-organization Act 2014, APPCB was bifurcated and TSPCB was constituted under Sec.4 of Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 and Section 5 of Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 on 07-07-2014.
The following Environmental Acts and Rules are being implemented by the Board:
- Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act,1974
- Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act,1981
- Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Cess Act,1977
- Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.
- Hazardous Waste (Management, Handling and Trans boundary movement) Rules, 2008
- Bio Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998
- Municipal Solid Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2000
- Plastic Manufacture, Sale and Usage Rules, 2011
- Batteries (Management and Handling) Rules, 2001
- The Manufacture, Storage and Import of Hazardous Chemical Rules, 1989
- E-Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2011
- The Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000
Objectives of TPCB
Sustainable Development: - Sustainable development is a wide concept that balances the need for economic growth with environmental protection and social equity.
Prevention: - To control the prevention of natural resources.
Waste Management: - Effective Waste Management is a great source to protect the environment.
Consumer awareness: - Pollution can be reduced by awareness such as by convincing general public to use CFL, paper bags, public transport and not to use firecrackers, plastic bags or any other non-biodegradable products.
Compliance: - TPCB laid down some guidelines for industries and Health care establishment to reduce environment pollution in Uttar Pradesh.
Main Functions of the TPCB
- Provide recommendation to the Telangana Pradesh Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air.
- Organize the consumer awareness programs on the prevention and control of air and water pollution and waste management through mass media.
- Collect, compile and prepare technical and statistical data related to air and water pollution.
- Lay down the standard of sewage and trade effluents and for emission from industrial plant, automobiles and Health Care Establishment.
- To help on the development of new technology for treatment of sewage, trade effluents and control equipment.
- Issuance of consent certificate to industries falling in different categories such as Red, Orange, Green and White.
- Issuance of the Authorization to industries and health care establishments, falling in Bio-Medical waste Authorization, Hazardous waste Management Authorization, Plastic Waste Management, Battery waste Management, and E-waste Authorization.
TPCB Categories & Classification of Business Activities
The industries in Gujarat has been classified in Red, Orange, and Green category as per the list, indicating the classification of 649 industries as per new guidelines.
The industries categorized under Red, Orange and Green category only need to apply for Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO) under the Air & Water Act. The industries categorized under white category are not required to obtain Consent to establish and operate, it is required only to intimate TPCB within 30 days from Establishment of business with an undertaking.