The Goa State Pollution Control Board is an autonomous statutory organization constituted on 1st July 1988 under the Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974. Prior to that, when Goa formed part of the erstwhile Union Territory of Goa, Daman and Diu, the Central Board for the Prevention and Control of Water Pollution was performing the functions of the State Board in Goa. The Central Pollution Control Board at Ponda-Goa had established a Section Office for the purpose. The same arrangement continued till the constitution of the State Board. In the meanwhile, the Section Office was re-constituted as West Zonal Office and shifted to Baroda on 4th April 1988. All the relevant records pertaining to Goa were transferred to the Goa State Pollution Control Board on 12th September 1988.
The Goa State Pollution Control Board, after its constitution, established its office in the Goa Medical College Complex at Bambolim. In June 1991, the Government of Goa allotted independent premises for the Board at Patto-Panaji, where the Board shifted its office in September 1991
On 15th August 2002 the Board acquired new premises on the 1st floor in Dempo Tower at Patto Plaza, Panaji and shifted its full set-up to this new premise. The office as well as the laboratory were operating from here. Subsequently, on 15th August 2005, additional premises measuring 311.86 Sq. mt. was acquired on the 4th floor of the same building which was dedicated to the Board Laboratory.
Authorizations/Registrations issued By the Board
The Board as a Prescribed Authority issues Authorizations/Registrations under various Rules framed under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986. The Rules under which authorizations are issued are stated below: -
- Bio-Medical Waste Management Rules, 2016
- Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement), Rules, 2016
- Solid Wastes Rules, 2016
- Batteries (Management and Handling), Rules, 2001
- Plastics Waste Management Rules, 2016
- E-Waste Management Rules 2016
- Construction and Debris Management Rules 2016
Objectives of MPPCB
Sustainable Development: - Sustainable development is a wide concept that balances the need for economic growth with environmental protection and social equity.
Prevention: - To control the prevention of natural resources.
Waste Management: - Effective Waste Management is a great source to protect the environment.
Consumer awareness: - Pollution can be reduced by awareness such as by convincing general public to use CFL, paper bags, public transport and not to use firecrackers, plastic bags or any other non-biodegradable products.
Compliance: - MPPCB laid down some guidelines for industries and Health care establishment to reduce environment pollution in Uttar Pradesh.
Main Functions of the GPCB
- Provide recommendation to the Goa Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air.
- Organize the consumer awareness programs on the prevention and control of air and water pollution and waste management through mass media.
- Collect, compile and prepare technical and statistical data related to air and water pollution.
- Lay down the standard of sewage and trade effluents and for emission from industrial plant, automobiles and Health Care Establishment.
- To help on the development of new technology for treatment of sewage, trade effluents and control equipment.
- Issuance of consent certificate to industries falling in different categories such as Red, Orange, Green and White.
- Issuance of the Authorization to industries and health care establishments, falling in Bio-Medical waste Authorization, Hazardous waste Management Authorization, Plastic Waste Management, Battery waste Management, and E-waste Authorization.
GPCB Categories & Classification of Business Activities
The industries in Goa has been classified in Red, Orange, and Green category as per the list, indicating the classification of 649 industries as per new guidelines.
The industries categorized under Red, Orange and Green category only need to apply for Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO) under the Air & Water Act. The industries categorized under white category are not required to obtain Consent to establish and operate, it is required only to intimate Goa State Pollution Control Board within 30 days from Establishment of business with an undertaking.